The Tennessee Department of Transportation is seeking to expand the IT Division’s Product Development office by hiring an additional highly motivated and hands-on People Operations Manager to help develop and manage our people, processes and programs in an agile software environment.
As the People Operations Manager for TDOT Product Development, you will be responsible for helping build and promote the culture at TDOT while delivering the best possible experience to our teams. You will also manage the day-to-day people and team operations while acting as a liaison between employees and management to answer questions or concerns regarding company policies, practices and regulations.
- Anticipate potential problem areas within teams and people practices; proactively recommend solutions by listening to issues and raising awareness to the appropriate level of unit leadership
- Participate in developing unit goals, objectives and programs for the Product Development Team
- Administer core people functions; process, verify and maintain documentation relating to people activities such as staffing, training and performance plans and reviews
- Design, implement, and maintain internal programs and processes in alignment to direction of Product Development Team and IT organization and in alignment with an agile approach
- Conduct relevant people, teams and processes analysis and make recommendations to leadership for process, team and program improvements
- Develop programs for employee development, employee engagement, organizational improvement, non-pay-based incentives and retention, training and provide reporting and analysis of areas of need and improvement
- Develop relationships with external units that support Product Development and pipeline prioritized work to the teams
- Create a culture of customer service to our organization to be responsive to high prioritized product needs while working to protect the teams in the least impactful way
- Actively analyze and plan for staff areas of risk and improvement and incorporate into annual hiring strategy plans and discussions as well as on-going meetings with executive director and unit senior leadership peers
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree
- Six (6) years of professional level experience in any one of the following areas: (1) systematic analysis of overall work processes for business or information systems; or (2) project management
- At least one (1) year of experience in leading team members of a project or project management.
- Substitution of experience for education
- Substitution of education for experience
- For more information on the qualifications for this job title, please see job classification link.
- Experience in people operations, human resources, training or other highly focused people/program management
- Prior experience with employee relations, employee benefits, hiring and training and development responsibilities
- An understanding of and ability to communicate about HR policies, programs and practices, including applicable state and organizational policies
- Ability to maintain high ethical standards, confidentiality and professionalism in dealing with sensitive issues
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner, build, trust, communicate and influence at all levels of employees
- Track record using excellent facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent customer service, written communication and presentation skills
- Creativity and resourcefulness; the ability to solve complex problems independently with minimal guidance
- Prior exposure to agile concepts such as Scrum, Kanban or lean principles
- Ability to maintain a servant leadership approach in the coaching and guidance of others
- Understanding the ability to coach team members “up or out” within an organization
- Experience or exposure to the ideas of agility, the scrum framework or prior work as a scrum master or agile coach is highly desirable.
- Current certifications such as Certified Scrum Master, Certified Product Owner, Certified Agile Leader are a plus for this position but will be part of professional development of the position
- Highly organized with attention to detail and ability
For more information on this position and instructions for how to apply, please see link below:
- Jobs sumary
- Location: Nashville, TN, United States
- Career Level: Senior (5+ years of experience)
- Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Job type: Full Time
- Positions: 1